Getting Out of a Flu Funk

Normally, once I’m at C of I, I like to stay put. That means I don’t go home until fall break, and all I concentrate on is school. Not so, this year.

Last weekend, I headed back to Boise to work at Art in the Park, the culminating event of my summer job with the Boise Art Museum. What I didn’t know, as I drove away from Caldwell, is that I would go to work for a few hours and then return home to my parent’s house with the flu. So I spent my first weekend back at school actually sick at home. I think I slept more this weekend than even my cat, who seems to get a minimum of 15 hours a day.

But class waits for no one, so a partially recovered me was delivered back to Caldwell on Sunday night with all the goods a sick person could hope for, or that my mom could anticipate. So with white rice in my fridge and saltines in my cupboard, I headed out to class on Monday.  I’m really glad I was up and about for classes yesterday for a few reasons.

One of them is a point of personal pride—I’ve never yet missed a class at college. Granted, this is the first time I’ve had the flu while at school, and the worst I usually battle through is some sniveling or sleepiness.  But I’m still pretty attached to my attendance record.

The other benefits of not missing class involve the obvious plus of not missing a lecture or any information. The secondary benefit is in not having to wade through every prof’s attendance policy. I only have four different professors this semester, but that’s still four different policies. The harshest of them says something like, “too bad, so sad, I don’t care why you were gone, you’re not getting those points back.” Most of them are a little more flexible.  I think it’s pretty standard to be allowed two unexcused absences before they start affecting your grade.  But still, if I can avoid having to deal with attendance policies without giving everyone else the flu, you can bet I’m going try.

From the Village in good health,

Megan Mizuta

Megan is a junior Literature in English major from Boise, Idaho.