Hyde Park Street Fair - Goody’s and Henna and Lightning! (Oh my)

Last year, as a lowly freshman, I found myself on a Friday night sitting around a table in the caf with my floor. Searching around for something to do one girl mentioned a “Hippie Fair” in Boise. So we decided to go. It turned out to be the Hyde Park Street Fair, and we all had a great time eating ice cream and getting airbrush tattoos.

This year, we were all looking forward to continuing the tradition. So on Friday night, we all piled into various cars and headed for Boise. After some minor speed infractions and racing on the freeway, we made it to the Pie Hole in Boise. I’d never been there before, but they had some pretty great (albeit greasy) pizza. And it was really cheap too, which everyone was grateful for. Then we took a small detour to Freak Alley, which is this really cool place where they have graffiti art all over the walls. There were some pretty amazing things that people could do with spray paint.

Freak Alley

After that, it was on to a friend’s house. She lived really close to Camel’s Back Park, so we parked at her house and walked down to the fair. Of course, we couldn’t resist stopping at Goody’s first. If you’ve never been to Goody’s you have to go. It’s an old fashioned ice cream parlor where they serve all manner of delicious things including the best caramel corn I’ve ever had in my life. Leaving Goody’s with our belts a little tighter, we finally made it to the fair. We wandered around looking at different booths until one of my friends saw someone doing henna tattoos and made a beeline for the booth (literally, when she saw it, she took off running).  Most of us got some sort of henna tattoo, and they all turned out really cool. Henna is great, because you get the feeling of a tattoo without the commitment. We continued browsing all the booths and found some really neat and unusual stuff.

Street Fair

Sadly, this year we didn’t get to climb Camel’s Back, because everyone got too tired and wanted to go home (as sophomores, we’re getting way too old to be staying out that late).

But that turned out to probably be a good thing, because we witnessed an epic lightning storm on the drive home – the kind that makes you want to avoid high places like Camel’s Back at all costs. There were more cloud-to-ground strikes than I have ever seen in my entire life. I actually saw a bolt of lightning hit a tower. It was really cool, but also kind of scary, so I was glad to get back to the safety of Simplot and relax after a fun, but exhausting day.

- Caitlin Fellows

Caitlin is a sophomore political economy major from Salt Lake City.