It’s Over

After a long week of recruitment, I’m back on the quiet floor of the library. By the way, if you saw my post last week about formal recruitment, and then wondered where it went, I had to take it down after being abruptly informed that it was considered a violation of recruitment rules, as it constituted undue contact with potential members.

But now recruitment is over and I can’t say I miss it. While the result of recruitment is an exciting addition of new members, it’s an exhausting process. Some people thrive on constant social contact, but for me, five straight days of talk is incredibly draining and can only be remedied with lots and lots of quite time.

I started my recuperation on Saturday night by attending the season opener for the Boise Philharmonic, whose saving grace is that the point is to listen and not talk. Aside from the performance, the people watching is pretty good, and the student discounts are killer. One of the greatest unsung benefits of going to college is getting in on student discounts. This summer, I took advantage of the Idaho Shakespeare Festival’s student discounts, and I’m eyeing RED at the Boise Contemporary Theater. I don’t know what I’m going to do when I graduate and have to pay full price for things.

In other news, today was my first day as a tutor in the Academic Support Center. The ASC is an entity that offers free peer tutoring services for the College in several disciplines. Clayton explains it better here. Like Clayton, I’m a writing tutor. Nobody came to my office hours today, but I work again tomorrow, so maybe I’ll get somebody. Otherwise, I have the KAIC 221 office all to myself to study in. The only downside to that is that the office chair in the room has a broken back, so woe unto the person who tries to recline in it.

Anyway, it’s nice to be back in a regular routine, and I’m so glad to be back at my favorite library table. 

From Terteling,

Megan Mizuta

Megan is a junior Literature in English major from Boise, Idaho.