What's in the Bag?

Meet my constant companion: the Shoe Bag. I spend more time with this bag than any one person in my life. It goes everywhere I go. I’m probably most identifiable on campus as that person who carries a bag with a giant retro Nike shoe on it. I can’t not carry the shoe bag, even when it makes for some pretty weird outfits. For instance, I am currently wearing a wool pencil skirt, grey silk blouse, and a knee length black dress coat. But the Shoe Bag still gets to come along because it’s so unbelievably functional.

Because I hunker down so often in the library for hours at a time, I have to schlep over several hours worth of materials. Enter the Shoe Bag. Though some of the contents change depending on the homework I’ve got, you can always be assured that it’s packed. More than a few of my friends have independently referred to it as my Mary Poppins bag, and they’re right. Here’s a look at an average day’s contents:

contents

The Usuals:

The Macbook: I use my Macbook almost as much as my Shoe Bag. This thing is the gateway to productivity.

Earbuds: Sometimes the quiet floor of the library isn’t actually quiet, and I need these guys to drown out the chatter. But I also like to listen to Foster the People on repeat while I’m writing essays, so the earbuds are necessary for the sanity of my fellow library-users.

The Planner: If I don’t have this to refer to, I don’t know what’s going on in my life.

The Power Cord: Because using any computer every day for three-ish years doesn’t do anything good for its battery life.

The Pencil Case: So, maybe this is actually a clutch I bought at Target and not a real pencil case. But it still holds all the necessary pens, highlighters, and flash drives.

Eye Drops: Because every once in a while I lose a contact in the middle of class.

Altoids, Mirror, Aleve, Kleenex, Toothbrush, Toothpaste: I don’t know why I have a travel toothbrush and mini toothpaste in my bag, but I do. I guess it’s the Mary Poppins coming out.

Snacks: Today it’s a mini Coke. There’s also half a chocolate bar in there somewhere.

Just for Today:

Literary Criticism, Classics of Public Policy, and Health Care Reform and American Politics: These are for my Theory and Methods of Literature and Introduction to Public Policy classes. These three got to venture out of the desk drawer in preparation for my midterms next Friday.

Folders: I have one folder for each class, and these two also go with Theory and Methods, and Public Policy.

Clipboard: With this thing, I can go highlight all my handouts in a comfy chair.

And that’s what’s in my bag today.

From the Library,

Megan Mizuta

Megan is a junior Literature in English major from Boise, Idaho.