Something Wicked This Way Comes

Rev up your broomsticks, practice your ghoulish wails, and put your dentist on speed dial, ladies and gentleman, because it’s Halloween and things are about to get a whole lot of weird.

I had class today with Miley Cyrus. So already, that’s a little bit abnormal for my regular Thursdays. And there was a ghost there, but that wasn’t unusual. If horror movies have taught me anything, it’s that colleges are the ideal ghost hang-outs. And, Gregory is cool and kind of keeps to himself, so everyone is pretty okay with him.

Everyone is already gearing up for tonight when C of I will celebrate All Hallow’s Eve with its usual amount of fanfare. The Phreakin’ Frenzy is a mad, chaotic Frenzy of Phreakin’ proportions that no one should miss. There is pumpkin carving, food, a costume contest, more food, bobbing for apples, yet again more food, and an appearance by the three witches from Macbeth (rumored). Most importantly though, is the fact that there will be enough candy given out that if you don’t have the beginnings of at least three cavities by night’s end, you get a year’s worth of free tuition (Again, that was a rumor I heard. But the guy that I heard it from was dressed as Marilyn Monroe, so he’s probably trustworthy.).

Depending on whether or not we survive the inevitable sugar coma after that, we may stop by Blatchley. In case you aren’t familiar with Blatchley, it’s a building that, on a good day, looks like it belongs in the first five minutes of a Hitchcock classic. It’s a lovely building, but it always leaves you with a vague, unexplainable eerie feeling in your spine if you look at it too long. So, knowing this, C of I’s newly formed football team decided to capitalize on that baseline fear and set up a haunted house for this evening. Ruh-roh, Shaggy. I might make it through it without viciously peeing myself, but, sadly readers, I remain doubtful.

Tonight, the campus is also putting a twist on an old favorite; Bowling Night is not merely your average excursion this week but instead a costume-filled epic bowling bonanza that will surely go down in history as one of the greatest events ever. Right up there with the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the invention of the Toaster Strudel.  People are more excited about costumed Bowling Night than I’ve ever seen them for even free pizza. Readers, if you know anything about college students, know that we love our free pizza. Seriously. It’s a problem. We should start a club for our recovery. And then serve free pizza at the club meetings. Yes, perfect.

I’m thankful that the weather has been behaving lately. I came back from break last week to find that the campus had dressed into its finest fall attire for the students’ return. Rich reds, golds and oranges line the trees and the air is just cold enough that I can bundle up in a sweater but don’t have to worry about losing an extremity just yet. It felt like fall in a wonderful way all week, like Mother Nature herself was getting into spirit for the festivities today.

All my professors, thankfully, are in the process of letting us catch our breath after mid-terms before starting that thousand-yard sprint to finals. I know that someday soon, those very same professors will have me weeping like a small baby beluga when I begin to study for their exams, so I’m enjoying it while I still can.

That’s all from me this week, readers. I’ll try to do something fun this weekend to share with you next time. My friends and I have been planning a hike up the lovely Table Rock trail for a while now. I could do that, or I can stay in my pajamas all weekend eating nothing but Fruity Pebbles by the gallon and pondering who, in fact, is still trying to keep up with those rascally Kardashians. Hmmm… choices, choices.

-Ashley A. Miller

P.S. Oh! I forgot to tell you. The picture this week is me in my costume for tonight. I’m dressed as the captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Yes, I insisted all my friends call my “Captain” all day and yes, I may or may not be looking for some new friends, but it was totally worth it.  

Ashley is a Sophomore Creative Writing Major from Payette, Idaho.