Kappa Giving

It’s only early November, but holiday indicators are starting to show up. Albertson’s has Christmas candy out, I have holiday themed soap in my bathroom, and Bon Appétit has sent out its advertisement about buying holiday pies. This afternoon, I’ll be helping put up one more indicator of the impending Christmas season, with the Giving Tree. The Giving Tree is one of my sorority’s philanthropic endeavors in which we coordinate a C of I gift drive through the Salvation Army to benefit needy children.  We get about 150 gift request tags from the Salvation Army, and then hang them up on our Christmas tree in McCain for students and faculty to take and fulfill. Then, in December, we’ll collect all the gifts and deliver them to the Salvation Army for them distribute. It’s a local, low-key philanthropy event that lets other students at C of I get in on the giving.

Last week, we finished up part of our national philanthropy project, which is called Reading is Key. During January every year, we hold an event for the campus called Kappa Casino, which raises money that we then use to buy books for local elementary schools. Our event last January was successful enough that we were able to provide books for several second grade classrooms at two Caldwell elementary schools—we visited one in the spring time, and last week we visited Van Buren Elementary.  We go to the schools over the course of about three days—I went with the Thursday group, and got to be there on Halloween. The five other KKGs that went divvied up the classroom we were assigned, and each took a group of students. We then read our book to the kids, and made water-color paper flowers with them. Then before we left, we passed out a copy of the book to each child to take home.

Even though Reading is Key is a national philanthropy that KKG chapters across the country contribute to, I’m really glad that we can spend the majority of our funds in local schools. As a C of I student, I don’t feel like I interact too much with the Caldwell community, but the philanthropy events that my sorority and other C of I organizations do usually constitute a chance to do some good for the city that houses our college.

From the library,

Megan Mizuta

Megan is a junior Literature in English major from Boise, Idaho.