Raking and Snowball Fights

Usually, I am really excited for the first snow. Growing up in Utah, we got quite a lot of snow, so now that I live in relatively-snow-free Caldwell (at least until January), I get even more excited. But this year, alas, I was not excited to see that blanket of white upon the grass in Boise. Let’s be honest – I actually was excited when I first looked out the window, but then I told myself, ‘No, you shouldn’t be excited, this is a bad thing.’ Because last Saturday, I was supposed to be participating in Rake Up Boise for the Rotaract Club I’m a part of (Interjection: Rotaract is a service club like Rotary but for young adults. We do a service project every month, and for November we were breaking out the rakes).

I had stayed overnight at my friend’s house so after bundling up in all the clothes we possibly could, we were treated to a delicious breakfast of eggs and homemade scones, courtesy of her mom. They were incredible (seriously, I would join their family just to eat the food they make because it is always wonderful). So then we trooped out into the snow with our giant clomping galoshes.

Our Rotaract club was raking with one of the Rotary Clubs in Boise, so we had a lot of help. We also had invited some of the exchange students to come as well, and they made the project even more fun. The first house we got to was pretty normal; we were actually late so most of the raking was already done and we just helped bag. But the next house had a large-ish backyard that was covered in snow. Oh lovely.

If you've never had the experience of raking snow, let me tell you, it's quite hard. Especially because it gets heavy, and then the bags are impossible to carry, and you have to try really hard not to rip them. It gets even harder when you’re being bombarded by snowballs. Because of course that was what happened. Someone’s little kid was there, and he started it, and we all were forced to retaliate, and then we started hitting each other and soon enough everyone's gloves were soaked (as were the clothes of two people who got into a wrestling match in the snow…). Despite the war, we were very productive and after we were done, everyone headed to Goody’s and had a nice bowl of ice cream to warm up!

Photo Courtesy of Todd Fischer

- Caitlin Fellows

Caitlin is a sophomore political economy major from Salt Lake City.