Warning: Adult Content

I’m going on an adventure, readers.

And while the number of car chases, wizard duels, and James Bond-style shenanigans probably won’t be as high as I’d like, I’m still excited. I can officially add something noteworthy to my résumé (Up until now, the only thing I had listed under the Past Employment heading was “Captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise, 2006-present” but that didn’t garner nearly as many job offers as I had anticipated.) that I can write to the folks back home on the farm about. I start this week as an intern/resident rebel rouser (that’s what I put on my nametag and no one has bothered to correct me yet, so, I’m keeping it) at Boise Weekly, a well-known paper that comes out in Boise weekly (Ohhhh. Suddenly the name is making a little bit more sense to me after reading that sentence aloud.).

I have a desk and everything.

A desk.

That’s basically like an engagement ring, readers. That means I’m going to be Mrs. Boise Weekly.  I’ve always loved a good wedding.

It also means I’m growing up, whether I like it or not. It means, in the space of a week, I’ve gone from sitting in pj’s for days at a time yelling obscenities at the TV whenever Dora insists on asking me where things are when I know for a fact she didn’t even bother trying to look herself (“The castle was RIGHT THERE! You are literally less than TEN FEET from it. You are a disgrace, Miss Explora.”) to being a person who has a desk and coworkers and who makes important business calls and wears shirts with buttons. I mean, what? How does that even happen?

Well, actually, I can tell you how it happened. It happened because the faculty here care more about my success than I feel that even I do sometimes. I knew I needed an internship in order to complete my Journalism minor, but I had yet to have the faintest clue where to even begin the search. It’s not like I could very well google “where to apply for internships if you can write good” and expect an offer to just fall onto my lap (And, trust me, I can write good, readers. Way good. Way, ultra-mega-awesome good.). Without a well-timed email from my former academic adviser, I never even would have thought about applying to Boise Weekly, and without the help and training of journalism professor/suspected vigilante, Alan Minskoff, I probably never would have landed an interview.

But I did.

And now I’m writing for a newspaper like I’ve always dreamed of. Funny how things turn out sometimes.

Anyways, have a great week. I know I will.

-Ashley A. Miller

Ashley is sophomore Creative Writing major from Payette, Idaho.