Facebook Frenzy

Today, everyone at the College is rejoicing. Not because it’s the last day of class for most people, but because the sun is finally back. We’ve had about two solid weeks of grey skies, so the sun has been sorely missed. It virtually rained ice yesterday, so sunshine and blues skies provide even more of a contrast.

Not too much is going on right now, like I said, it’s the last day of class for most people. I’m headed home to Boise tomorrow morning, and am looking forward to being reunited with my dog.

I’ve mostly been wrapping up class things this week, but I’ve also been putting in some time every day to my new position as PR chairman for my sorority. So far I’ve been concentrating on the tech front by creating Twitter and Flickr accounts, and trying to keep our Facebook current while also bringing our website up to date. So far the hardest part has been trying to collect all of our photos into one place. We have tons of pictures, but they’re scattered across the Facebooks, phones, and cameras of about 30 different people.

One of the cool things about being in a national sorority is that I can see what other chapters across the country are doing. I’ve started following probably 50+ KKG chapters on Facebook, and am keeping an eye out for PR ideas. 

Most of my PR efforts have been concentrated on our Facebook page so far, which is nice because Facebook will record all sorts of data for me. I can see a breakdown of my audience (surprise surprise, they’re mostly females age 18-24), how many views a post has gotten, how much progress we’ve made since last week, etc. So far, the best reach we’ve gotten on a post is just over 1,600. That means 1,600 people have at least seen that post, even if they haven’t interacted with it by liking or commenting. Our total reach for this week, so far, is 1,904, which is up 75% from last week’s total. It’s been a good week for our Facebook.

One of the things I’ve been struggling with on the Facebook front is finding a good tone. Because I post under the KKG profile and not my own, I feel like I have to be a little more straightforward and, for lack of a better word, peppy, when updating statuses. Luckily, Facebook is on board the hashtag train, so I’ve been using those as something of a foil to the unrestrained enthusiasm of my page posts.

I’m excited to expand past Facebook though. One of our members just finished up taking web design as her winter term course, so I’m hoping to rope her into revamping our website.

From the basement of the library,

Megan Mizuta

Megan is a junior Literature in English major from Boise, Idaho.

Greek Life