Food Crisis: When the Cafeteria Closes in Winter

My greatest struggle this break is eating and no, I am not trying to look like the girls we see on TV. It is genuinely not having an appetite and not really knowing what foods I like and which ones I don't.

My eating habits have never bothered me until I realized I have been eating one meal a day for more than a month now. Whoa!!! Right? What makes it worse is that it is so cold outside that going to Albertsons or one of the restaurants in C-Town to get food is just such a struggle, so many times I have ended up going to McCain for yogurt. How I still have energy is a mystery to me.

It actually made me realize just how much I appreciate the cafeteria. I am pretty sure everyone that stays on campus during breaks feels the same way but I'm just the first to admit it. Almost every college student complains about cafeteria food--it's one of those universally acceptable things--but there are so many reasons why we should be grateful for the caf. 

Unlike a lot of other colleges, we actually do have a variety of foods to choose from and there is always ice cream and pizza, and more ice cream, and of course healthy food. There is no reason why a Yotie should not eat good. We have fresh food available to us each and every day and can even experiment with making different kinds of sandwiches if the menu for whatever day does not appeal to us, or even different kinds of salads.

I'm actually getting a little excited for the caf to open because I have never thought of it like that. I am going to experiment with food and figure out what foods I really like and which ones I don’t. In the meantime, I will work on bracing for the cold and gathering the energy to get myself something nutritious, and hopefully at some point make up for the nutrients I have been denying myself for the past few weeks. 

- Kenny

Keneuoe Mphutlane is an International Political Economy major in her sophomore year and is from Lesotho.