Valentine’s, 15 Books, and a One-Page Essay

It’s the first Friday of spring term, and more importantly, it’s Valentine’s Day. One of the great things about living on campus with a bunch of other young people is that Valentine's is just as much a celebration of friendship as it is a romantic celebration. 

As evidenced by the hopping mail center today, lots of people are sending Valentine’s goodies and wishes to each other on campus.  One thing my sorority did this Valentine’s Day was an exchange where everyone was responsible for sending a little card or present to a sister whose name they’d drawn at random. 

I sent my Kappa Valentine a giant heart card (rolled up for mail center convenience) and a peanut butter heart, and got a sweet card and chocolate from the person who drew my name, and a few little treats from other sisters who sent Valentines to everyone. I also got cards from my best friend, family, and from my cats (aka, my grandma posing as my cats). Needless to say, it’s been a good mail week for me.

The Kappa Alpha Thetas also have a philanthropy event where you can buy a Valentine-gram in the form of Crush Soda bottles, also delivered via mailbox. I sent out two of these, and expected one of them not to be found until April or May, but alas, that recipient was unexpectedly prompt about checking his mailbox.

In non-Valentine's related news, I’m just settling into a new semester. I have two literature seminars back-to-back, which translates to roughly 800 pages of reading a week. It’s a good thing I’m a fast reader (and that I like reading), because it would be really easy to fall behind, especially since the classes are held Tuesday/Thursday. By the end of the term, I’ll have read 15 books between the two classes.

I also just turned in my application for the Clyde Swisher Memorial Scholarship, which is an award given out by the College’s English Department to a junior literature or creative writing major. My application materials included my transcript, a sample analysis essay, and a one page personal essay on the value and purpose of majoring in literature.

I used a 12-page paper that I wrote in December for my Inventing America lit seminar to fulfill the analysis essay portion of the application, so that was no sweat. But the one page personal essay killed me; I went through about five total rewrites. Just to provide some reference, I virtually never scrap a paper and start from scratch, not even for my most complicated academic essays. I guess it goes to show that a seemingly straightforward prompt and small page length sometimes prove to be the biggest challenge.

Happy Valentine's Day from the Village,

Megan Mizuta

Megan is a junior Literature in English major from Boise, Idaho.