Reverse Culture Shock, Paint Fights and The YoteFam

Now that I’m back at school, I’m a little more adjusted to life in the U.S. That’s not to say that I don’t miss France. Numerous times, I’ve found myself walking back from class and thinking, “I could really use a crepe right now.” But alas, there is not an abundance of crepe stands in Idaho. I’ve (mostly) stopped speaking French to people who don’t understand me, and I have gotten used to using dollars again.

I just can’t seem to get back in the mindset of school though. I keep thinking that I have all the time I want, that I can just put off that paper one more day. I don’t know if this is a result of my time in France, or just the fact that I haven’t done “normal school” since about November. Anyway, I’m trying to resist it, and hopefully I can get through it soon!

Last Saturday, I did a really awesome paint photo shoot with my friend who is a photographer. My friends and I all bought white dresses, and then splattered paint on each other while the photographer took pictures of us splattered in paint. It was SO much fun, and when we went to McCain for food afterwards, we got lots of strange looks.

That night was also our last regularly scheduled basketball, game, and let me tell you, it was something. First of all, there were some of us who are in choir and they asked us to help unveil the new fight song. But we couldn’t find half of the people, and nobody knew what was going on, and we barely made it to the microphone before we had to start singing, and apparently nobody could hear us anyway. Go team! But it was still really fun, and then we all joined the YoteFam to cheer on our basketball team in their last normal-season game.

Being in a crowd like that at a sporting event is a weird experience. It’s like you’re a part of some multi-headed creature that reacts to things in synchronization, yelling and clapping, or groaning and ducking its heads depending on what is happening. It’s a real feeling of community that you are with all these people who are thinking about (roughly) the same things as you and hoping for the same things to happen. It’s a magical moment when the team makes a basket, and everyone simultaneously jumps to their feet, yelling and screaming and clapping with pure joy. That’s why I love the YoteFam.

Photo by: Travis Michael Photography

- Caitlin Fellows

Caitlin is a sophomore political economy major from Salt Lake City.