Home away from home

I remember when I first got to The College of Idaho and I could not bring myself to ask or answer questions in class. I actually feel a little silly thinking about it now BUT it happened. Had I known how supportive faculty members at the C of I are to students, I would have just gone for it.

Going to college thousands of miles away from home was one of the hardest decisions I have had to make and it therefore had to be a good decision. All the colleges I applied to pretty much had the same story: Saying what they know I wanted to hear, or read rather. To every "I intend on studying politics and economics" came an accompanying "Oh, our college has one of the best political science departments in the U.S." I honestly could not be impressed by any college when they all just sounded the same.  

The College of Idaho: There are quite a number of reasons why I decided to spend 4 years of my life at The College of Idaho and I can't all cover in this one blog post. Nonetheless, the C of I was the only college I applied to that required a phone interview (not in it's strict sense). The enrollment office saw it necessary to communicate with prospective students beyond the information presented on a piece of paper. I also received an email from the student admissions assistant who was just checking up on me and making sure that my application process was going smoothly. I had to come to this place.

As a current student at the C of I, not all days are rosy, everyone knows that. However, on each and every "not so rosy day" is a network of faculty members and students who are always so willing to help, it's incredible. From that simple interview, I knew that the "community" that all colleges were talking about in their brochures had to be a reality in Idaho because of how the application process is treated. I also won't ever forget an email I got from one of my professors the first time I missed class because I was sick. It went something like, "I know home is far away and If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know." I even texted my grandmother to reassure her that I was in a good place.

I could go on and on about how much I value my experience at the C of I. How I have had tremendous support in implementing some of the things I have always wanted to do in life (some serious, others not so serious). How I know for a fact that I will have no issue communicating in "the real world" (from all the in class presentations and debates). And, finally, the fulfllment I will have when i graduate knowing that I was offered every kind of support to succeed in life. 

- Kenny

Keneuoe Mphutlane is a sophomore from Lesotho majoring in International Political Economy.