End of the Year Shakeups

By this time next Friday, I’ll be done with my junior year of college, and will be ready to bid adieu to classroom time at the College until February. In the meantime, I’m running around getting signatures for my graduation application and study abroad forms, finishing up papers, and studying for finals.  I’m also about to undertake the arduous task of moving out of the Village, which I’m hoping to tackle in increments. 

Everyone seems pretty slammed with work, but just now, I’m in a bit of a lull. There are several things I could be doing—studying accounting, making lunch, working on my archives project, or revamping my postcolonial paper—but I’m in that awkward time between classes that’s a little too short to bunker down, and a little too long to do nothing.

I’m also just not having an easy time tapping into the end of school excitement that propels most people through dead week and finals. It’s not just that I miss the academic portion of school, but I miss all of my friends, and they’re scattering pretty far, to places including Salt Lake City, Stanley, Denver, and Paris. I’ll be holding down the fort in Boise until about the second week of September, when I’ll fly out for Northern Ireland. So between my travels and theirs, plus the fact that some of them are graduating and not coming back, after next week we won't all be in the same place again. Even after I come back from my study abroad, there’ll just be about three months where the bulk of my friends and I will be at the College before we all head off again. And while I wouldn’t prolong college for more than the four year run, that’s kind of an unsettling prospect.

But it’s not just at the College that people are heading different ways, it’s in my immediate family too. My brother, who just graduated from the University of Idaho, is taking a teaching job in a tiny village in Alaska, and I, of course, will be on almost the other side of the world for about five months. Let’s just say it’s a good thing my parents have a dog and two cats that they can spoil, and that maybe our pets will be getting seats at the Thanksgiving table this year in my brother and I’s absence.

At any rate, things are a-changing.

From Sterry,

Megan Mizuta

Megan is a junior Literature in English major from Boise, Idaho.