Defying the one passion rule

Sophomore year is gone! It all happened so quickly. I remember my excitement moving into a house from the dorms like it was yesterday and now packing things away for the summer just won't end. 

Looking back, this was an incredibly amazing year. I couldn't be more proud to be a Yotie. The newsletter is just testament of what a good year it was, whether it was reporting about the institution itself, about students or faculty members.

On another note, people often say, "Find something you're passionate about and stick to it." For years and years I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Career wise. sophomore year solved that little problem for me. I realized that I don't have to be passionate about just one thing because that has always sounded a little restricting to me. Liberal Arts = I can be whatever I want. Meaning, there is nothing wrong with being passionate about different things and doing as many as manageable. It works. It's working now in college.

Over the summer, I will be working on the two things I am certain I am passionate about and want to do for a significant period in my life. I will be reading books and educating myself about political campaigns because that's where I want to start my political career back home. Also, I love fashion and philanthropy and I guess I will be doing that too.

In the meantime, I need to figure out how to pack more efficiently and move into storage. After all that is done, I will be ready to head back to Africa where a lot of adventures await.

P.S. I am pretty excited about changing my bio to "Junior".

- Kenny

Keneuoe Mphutlane is a junior International Political Economy Major from Lesotho, Africa.