Unlocking The Unknown

Each and every day I learn that things fall into place. After a few setbacks with implementing my project in Rwanda, I spent each and every day looking to see who I could contact for help. Some days are better than others but for the first time, I understood what it meant not to quit. I certainly wish things were easier; I wish we could all have a dream and live it the next day exactly how we want it to play out. Often times, this is not the case but it is not a reason to give up on what we believe in and what we wish to achieve.

At some point, I was sending about 5 emails to different people and organizations a day and I understood that I would never hear back from other contacts or not get assistance from some that do respond but with every email I sent, I understood that out of all those emails, there would be atleast one hopeful one. There was more than one. There was a conflict of interest here and there and what my sister taught me about integrity is knowing when to say “No” even if the offer looks appealing but goes against what you believe in. These are the things I could have never known had I stayed in my comfort zone and chose the easiest option out of a challenge.

Now, instead of sending endless numbers of emails, I have a task to develop a more comprehensive proposal which I would have never done had I not taken the initiative to contact different people. I got advice, some of which I needed, other advice not so much. In any case, learning from different people has been such an experience, people who have no idea who I am but are offering their expertise and advice so I can succeed. Learning never stops. Education exists even in places where we least expect to find it.

Besides completing some work for my fiscal fiscal sponsor, I have also been given the opportunity to be an Outreach Coordinator for an organization that subsidizes malaria medication for children in Zambia. Life is exciting and I look forward to seeing what more it has to offer.

P.S. I have had to do a lot of Mathematics and read a few books every day to stay “relevant”, a lot of which I do at the lake with my sunhat- summer style.

-          Keneuoe

Keneuoe Mphutlane is a junior International Political Economy major from Lesotho, Southern Africa.