Meeting Maggie

This summer has already gone by so quickly! I can’t believe that it’s almost August, which means school starts again in about a month. It’s crazy!

I’ve mostly been working, which is taking up much of my time. I work at a ski resort in Park City, and it’s awesome. And yes, I know there is no snow in the summer, but they have cool summer activities like an alpine slide and a zip line. It’s a great summer job because I get to be outside all day in the mountains I love and miss while in Caldwell.

I’ve also spent some time hanging out with friends, and my friend Hanna even came down from Idaho for a weekend to visit! We had a great time exploring Salt Lake, rock climbing, and best of all, meeting one of our favorite authors. Her name is Maggie Stiefvater, and we both love her books. She goes on tours around the country to promote her new books, and we’ve wanted to go to one for a while. Last fall we thought about going to one in Canada over fall break (the closest stop at a time when we were off school), but unfortunately, Hanna’s 1972 bug wouldn’t have been up for that kind of drive.

So when we saw Maggie would be in Salt Lake for one of her tour stops this summer, I convinced Hanna to come visit so that we could go. We were so excited, we ran down the street to the bookstore where she was going to be (earning us some weird looks from passers-by). We both bought her new book, complete with an art print done by Maggie herself. Then Maggie gave a fabulous and hilarious talk about her books, writing and life in general. After the talk was over, we finally got to meet her. She signed our books, we told her about some of our own adventures, and we took some pictures with her (and with her epic 1973 Camaro). It was a fantastic night and definitely one of the highlights of my summer so far!