Tennis Blog

Tennis Yote Notes - Edition 13 (Season Review)

LAST WEEK: Men – vs. Treasure Valley CC (W 4-3); Women vs. Treasure Valley CC (W 7-0)

COMING UP: Season Complete

C OF I SWEEPS TVCC TO CLOSE OUT SEASON: The 2011 tennis season came to a close on Saturday, as both C of I teams picked up victories over Treasure Valley Community College.  For the Coyote men, the squad avenged a mid-season loss to the Chukars, picking up a 4-3 win.  The Yotes won matches at No. 3-5 singles’ – including the fifth-straight victory by Jaron Tietsort (Caldwell, Idaho / Caldwell HS).  The Lady Yotes won their fourth-straight over a junior college team, sweeping TVCC, 7-0, including a win at No. 2 singles by Teresa Kucera (Lewiston, Idaho / Lewiston HS) and No. 3 singles by Sarah Roper (Payette, Idaho / Treasure Valley CC), defeating players they lost to in the match-up last month.

SEASON IN REVIEW: Both C of I teams failed to win a match this year against four-year competition, but both squads showed marked improvement from the beginning of the season to last week.  The men’s team was led by the bottom of their ladder, which combined to win 13 singles’ matches, while the Lady Yotes, who swept all four matches with junior colleges, improved despite having numbers dwindle as the season progressed.

TWO SENIORS PLAY FINAL MATCH: Both C of I teams will lose one senior student-athlete this season – as Molly Leadbetter (Grand Junction, Colo. / West River Acad.) and Jaron Tietsort both played their final matches for the Yotes.  Over her career, Leadbetter picked up a total 20 victories in her Lady Yote career, while Tietsort won 19.

INSIDE THE NUMBERS: Men – Matches Won: Jaron Tietsort 12, Thomas McMahon (Hope, Idaho / Clark Fork HS) 8, Mark Malmstrom (Boise, Idaho / Timberline HS) 6,; Singles Games Won – Isaac Creed (Idaho Falls, Idaho / Skyline HS) 98, Malmstrom 85, Tietsort 69, James Collet (Pocatello, Idaho / Pocatello HS) 55.  Women – Matches Won – Hayley Hutchings (Nampa, Idaho / Skyview HS) 7, Teresa Kucera 6.  Singles Games Won – Hutchings 67, Tanya Greenwood (Hailey, Idaho / Wood River HS) 52, Kucera 49, Sarah Roper 48, Cassie Low (Prineville, Ore. / Crook County HS) 36.

ABOUT THE COACH: Cisco Limbago is in his 26th year of coaching tennis at The C of I. A native of Waianae, Hawaii, he was a standout football player at The C of I, earning All-Northwest Conference honors.  He is also the longest serving coach on the current C of I staff.   During from 1987-91, the Coyotes won four of five NAIA District titles and competed at the NAIA Championships.  During the 2001 and 2005 seasons, his squad placed second at the NAIA Regional Tournament.  Limbago has recorded .500-or-better marks in 18 of his 25 seasons at The C of I.   In addition to coaching at The C of I, Limbago was an elementary P.E. teacher in the Meridian School District.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: For more on Coyote tennis teams, head to the official homepage of C of I tennis - http://www.collegeofidaho.edu/athlete/tennis.asp?ID=athletics.