Graduate Programs


Education Department Graduate Programs

The Education Department at The College of Idaho offers graduate coursework leading to two master's degrees, a certification-only internship, and two courses of study leading to endorsements.


The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program is for new teachers who wish to attain certification in Idaho while also completing graduate work.  The program is designed to be completed in two years with course work beginning in the summer, continuing through the internship year, and culminating in a final summer session. Enrollment in the MAT program is limited to 15 students.  Preference will be given to students who have been enrolled in The College of Idaho's undergraduate teacher education program. Applications will be accepted for review from:

  • College of Idaho graduates who have completed the Interdisciplinary Studies for Elementary Precertification major or the Education minor.
  • Those who have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with appropriate course work in an area of endorsement, and the Education minor.  NOTE: Candidates for secondary certification must have required course work in two teaching fields.


The Master of Education (MEd) program in Curriculum and Instruction, with endorsements in Bilingual Education or English as a New Language (ENL), consists of 36 credits with concentrations in Bilingual Education and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. The program prepares already-certified teachers to effectively educate culturally and linguistically diverse students in a variety of classroom contexts. Successful completion of the program fulfills the Idaho State Department of Education requirements for a K-12 endorsement in English as a New Language (ENL). An additional six upper-division credits in Spanish will meet the requirements for an endorsement in Bilingual Education

Both the MAT and MEd degree programs provide opportunity for candidates to contribute to the knowledge base of education by completing a thesis based upon original work.

Follow the links at the top this page for more information about the MAT and MEd programs and for application forms.

Certification Only Internship

The certification-only program is for students who have a degree from The College of Idaho, have completed the appropriate undergraduate course work in education, wish to be certified teachers in Idaho, but who do not wish to complete the MAT degree.

Endorsement Only

For those certified teachers who wish to complete additional endorsements in bilingual education or English as a new language (ENL), but who do not wish to complete the MEd degree, we offer endorsement-only programs.

Academic and Student Support Services for Graduate Students

Registrar's Office

The Registrar's office, located in Hendren Hall, is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to help you with any questions or concerns. If you need to request a transcript or to access any other forms from the Registrar, go here.


Access the Terteling Library Catalog or search databases for articles in journals, magazines and newspapers here

Academic Support

The Academic Support Center (ASC) offers peer tutoring assistance to students in all aspects of their academic development.

Institutional Review Board

Before begining thesis research, graduate students need to get IRB approval. Procedures and requirements can be found here.

Learning Support and Disability Services

Links to Student Health Services, Learning and Disability Services and the Men & Women's Center can be found here.

The Center for Experiental Learning

The Center for Experiential Learning offers assistance in managing credential files for education majors. A credential file may be established and will be sent to a prospective employer upon request. To establish a credential file or to update or reactivate a credential file, please visit the Center for Experiential Learning located in Hendren Hall, email, or call 208-459-5508.

Financial Aid for Graduate Students

There are few government grants and institutional scholarships available for graduate study. Therefore, the graduate tuition rate is set lower than the undergraduate rate. The tuition rate is reviewed and may be adjusted for each academic year. Additional information concerning financial aid can be accessed on the institution's website ( or through the financial aid office (208 459-5380).

The number of credits required varies with the program and the language experiences and credits candidates bring.

  • Master of Arts in Teaching - 35-36 credits
  • Master of Education with English as a New Language endorsement - 32-36 credits (depending on previous coursework in language)
  • Master of Education with Bilingual endorsement - 33-42 credits (depending on previous coursework in language)
  • English as a New Language (endorsement only) 20 credits
  • Bilingual (endorsement only) 21-27 credits (depending on previous coursework in language)

Satisfactory Academic Progress - Graduate Program

To maintain eligibility for financial assistance, both from the institution and the federal and state governments, students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Progress is defined as completing a required number of credits each semester with an appropriate Grade Point Average (Qualitative) and a set percentage of completed coursework (Quantitative) within a maximum timeframe.

There are two departments that monitor Satisfactory Academic Progress. The Registrar's Office monitors course work for academic standing and the Student Financial Aid Services Office is responsible for ensuring that all students (including full-time, part-time, and students without financial aid) are meeting these standards. The standards apply for all financial assistance programs including Federal Pell Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Work-Study (FWSP), Federal Loans (Subsidized, Unsubsidized and Grad PLUS) as well as state grants and institutional scholarships and grants.

  • Qualitative Requirement A student must maintain an acceptable Grade Point Average (GPA) in order to continue to receive financial assistance. To earn a Master of Arts in Teaching degree (MAT) or an M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction at The College of Idaho, all coursework must be completed with a grade of "B" or better. All class coursework, with the exception of thesis writing, must be completed within 22 months of matriculation into the program. The responsibility rests with students to see that their program of study satisfies all the requirements.
  • Quantitative Requirement Graduate students must maintain an 85% completion rate of attempted coursework. The completion rate is calculated by dividing the number of completed credits by the number of attempted credits over the students entire graduate career; including all accepted transfer credits and any credits earned during periods of enrollment when the student was not receiving financial aid.
  • Maximum Time Limit Class coursework, with the exception of thesis writing, must be completed within 22 months of matriculation in the MAT or M.Ed. program.
  • Evaluation of Academic Progress graduate student progress will be monitored at the end of the fall term and again at the end of the winter/spring term. A student's academic progress will be measured by comparing the number of attempted credit hours (including accepted transfer credits) with the credit hours earned; and by the student's cumulative graduate GPA. (This includes any course for which the student has remained enrolled past the Add/Drop period.) The following are considered when evaluating a student's satisfactory academic progress:
    • Withdrawals, incompletes, and failures are considered attempted but not earned hours.
    • Incompletes if completed during the following semester in which they are incurred may be counted toward the earned course work.
    • Repeated courses are included in the calculation of both attempted and earned hours.
    • All accepted transfer credits are included in the calculation of the cumulative GPA and in attempted and earned hours.
  • Financial Aid Probation Status Students falling below the standards for the first time will receive a warning letter and placed be on Financial Aid probation. A student on probation is encouraged to work with their advisor and to use the counseling, tutoring, testing, and other services that may be available on campus to assist them with improving their academic standing. A student may continue to receive financial assistance during the financial aid probationary period. At the end of the next semester, progress will be reviewed and the student will:
    • Be removed from probationary status if both the cumulative GPA and cumulative completion rate standards are metor Be suspended from receiving assistance from federal, state and institutional sources and will receive a Financial Aid Discontinue Letter.
  • Financial Aid Discontinue Status Students who do not meet both standards (Qualitative and Quantitative) are no longer eligible for financial aid until classes have been taken (using their own funding) and have raised their cumulative GPA and completion rate to meet the above standards. Students will be sent a letter informing them of their status.
    • Failure to earn any credits in any semester will result in a student being placed on aid suspension.
    • Students who are dismissed from the graduate program for academic or department policy are ineligible for financial assistance.

Appeal Process

A student may appeal the financial aid suspension by submitting to the Financial Aid Services Office, within 30 days of notification, a signed Financial Aid Non-Academic Petition explaining why his or her financial aid should not be suspended. A student may appeal due to an emergency condition (e.g., health, family, catastrophe, etc.). The student must provide documentation verifying the situation, a plan of action, and a statement from an academic advisor in support of the plan. The Financial Aid Services Office will present a student's appeal materials and academic transcripts to the Financial Aid Committee.

  • The Financial Aid Committee will review the appeal and academic performance and render a decision, which the Director of Student Financial Aid Services Office will convey in writing to the student.
  • If the student finds the Committee's decision unsatisfactory, the student may appeal to the President for further review. The President's decision on the appeal is final.
    • Reinstatement This policy does not preclude a student from enrolling in subsequent semesters. The student can raise their GPA and/or satisfy credit deficiencies by taking additional coursework at The College of Idaho without receiving financial aid or by transferring in credits from another institution. Students who have lost eligibility for financial aid will not regain eligibility simply by paying for their own classes for a semester or by sitting out a semester. Students may have their financial aid reinstated by the Student Financial Aid Services Office once all satisfactory academic progress standards (both qualitative and quantitative) are met.
  • Students may also submit a copy of their College of Idaho transcript and a petition form to verify grade changes, including the removal of incompletes if this will result in removal of their deficiencies.