The purpose of The College of Idaho Parent Council is to engage Yote parents in various geographic regions in meaningful interactions and activities; foster a positive experience for C of I parents; promote the College; broaden and deepen relationships to support College initiatives; and enrich students’ undergraduate experience. The Parent Council (PC) is comprised of dedicated parent volunteers who serve as ambassadors for the College and engage with other parents to foster connections and build partnerships.
2015-2016 PARENT ADVISORY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- David & Terri Bruce
- Amber and Rick Geisbrecht
- Lee and Kristy Lenhardt
- Ed & Naho Klopfenstein
- Jennifer and Peter Krause
- Kip and Melinda Smyser
- Debbie and Doug Mullins
Parent Council Commitments
- Serve a one-year renewable term (typically Council members serve until their student graduates)
- Attend the fall on-campus meeting during Family Weekend
- Attend the Parent Council spring meeting at the President’s home, if possible
- Actively participate in at least one Field Committee (can be electronically facilitated for parents outside the area)
Parent Council Committees
- Future Yote Outreach – Members work with the admissions department and within their community/connections to recruit the new class of Yotes. (Lorna Hunter or as assigned)
- Student Career Support – Members work with the Center for Experiential Learning staff to provide opportunities and resources for securing internships, job shadowing, employment, and other high impact educational experiences for current students and alumni. (Jennifer Riddle, Director - Center for Experiential Learning)
- Parent Engagement Programs – Members work to plan and promote Parent Council meetings, Family Weekend events, move-in day activities, communications, and opportunities to present the parent perspective on the C of I experience. (Sally Skinner, Director – Alumni and Parent Relations)
What does a Parent Council member do?
In addition to participating in the meetings as listed above, Parent Council members are encouraged to participate in activities such as:
- Calling parents of the freshman class in the fall to welcome them to The College of Idaho family
- Attending and serving as event hosts for Family Weekend
- May choose to make a financial contribution at a level that is comfortable for their family
- Assisting admissions by calling parents of admitted students in the spring
- Serving as a sounding board for the College administration as needed
- Serving as hosts on campus during move-in weekend
How do I become a member of the Parent Council?
If you are interested in being considered for membership, please complete the below application and e-mail it to [email protected]. We encourage parents from all areas and backgrounds to apply.