C of I students to participate in Eat Local Challenge on Tuesday
2008. 09. 25.
CALDWELL – Students at The College of Idaho will participate in the fourth annual Eat Local Challenge on Tuesday, Sept. 30, along with diners at 400 other cafés run by Bon Appétit Management Company, which provides food service at the college.
The Eat Local Challenge is open to the public. Lunch is served in The C of I's Simplot Dining Hall from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and the cost is $6.35 per person for all you can eat, including drink and dessert.
In the Eat Local Challenge, chefs must create one meal made exclusively with local foods (except salt), which is not easy considering that that most foods consumed in America travel an average of 1,500 miles from field to plate
C of I chef Maury Bennet will include pastured chickens, local corn, heirloom chiles and tomatoes, locally milled organic wheat, varieties of organic melon and more, all from Treasure Valley area farms.
Bon Appétit will serve:
- Strawberry Hills beef French dip with au jus and house cut local potato chips
- Two soups – Roasted chicken with edamame, and tomato basil with croutons made with local flour
- Smoked butternut squash falafel with local cucumber tatzki and pita bread made with local flour
- Traeger smoked fresh local herb marinated pork loin served with assorted seasonal vegetables and Idaho potatoes
- Roasted Blue Lake green bean quiche topped with Ballard cheddar cheese
- Grilled golden Greek cheese with assorted toppings (honey, tomato jam, roasted corn salsa
- Salad bar with all local greens and vegetables with composed salads made from local vegetables and grains
"Eating local is catching on for so many reasons. Every year before the Eat Local Challenge I think about a new farmer or producer I might meet that I didn't know about last year, and that's when I get really excited," said Matt Caldwell, Bon Appétit general manager at The C of I. "If I can introduce our diners to a local farm product they haven't heard of before, one more person is closer to what's on his or her plate, and one more farmer's business is strengthened."Bon Appétit Management Co. is an onsite restaurant company offering full food service management to corporations, universities and specialty venues. Bon Appétit is committed to serving sustainable, local foods in all its cafés throughout the country.