ACI Philanthropy Council announces grant recipients
2007. 05. 28.
CALDWELL – The Student Philanthropy Council at Albertson College of Idaho (ACI) is providing nearly $30,000 in grants to Treasure Valley non-profit organizations. A ceremony to award the grants will be held Wednesday, May 30 at 7 p.m. in the Langroise Center.
This is the second year that CofI has provided grants to non-profit organizations. Money for the grants comes from the Seagraves Family Foundation.
The Student Philanthropy Council is run entirely by CofI students who request, review and award the grants. All grants are one-time awards and do not require any matching funds.
This year's grant recipients are:
- ANSER Charter School – $8,180 for its Service Learning Programs that teach sixth-graders about involvement in philanthropy and community service
- Giraffe Laugh –$8,000 for its scholarship program, emergency food pantry, and employment and family services. Giraffe Laugh is a childcare center that focuses on early childhood development and serves a large number of low-income children.
- Caldwell Meals on Wheels – $5,000 to purchase of a new van to distribute meals to Caldwell's seniors on a daily basis. Caldwell Meals on Wheels delivers about 21,000 meals per year, and a new van is needed to keep up with an expanding delivery area and cut down on high maintenance costs incurred with the old van.
- Idaho Botanical Gardens – $4,000 for garden grounds development, Idaho Bug Day and enhancement of its youth education program
- Treasure Valley Reading Foundation – $3,000 to deliver approximately 25,000 free books to low-income families across the Treasure Valley. The TVRF encourages reading to children on a daily basis, and in its first five years of existence has delivered 337,064 books.
- The Boys and Girls Club of Nampa – $1,400 for field trips for the Smart Girls Program, which helps develop skills and values including fitness, health and self-esteem.
Last year, the philanthropy council awarded grants ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 to five different non-profit organizations.