The College of Idaho takes the personal welfare of our community very seriously. The following policy and procedure has been established to assist in locating members of our community who, to the best of our knowledge, are determined to be missing.
At the beginning of each academic year, the College will inform by e-mail its campus community of the following policy:
- When determined that a member of our community is missing, we will notify their parents no later than 24 hours after that determination is made.
- Students have the option of identifying a confidential individual to be contacted by the College in place of their parents. This confidential contact's information can be registered with the Campus Safety Department.
- If the missing person is under 18 years of age, and not emancipated, the College is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian no later than 24 hours after they are determined to be missing. Once a person is reported to be missing, the Department of Campus Safety will immediately start an investigation and attempt to locate the individual. The appropriate law enforcement agencies will be contacted no later than 24 hours after they are reported missing.
The procedure to be followed if a member of our community is suspected of being missing is as follows:
- Missing persons should be reported to Campus Safety. If the report is made to another member of the college administration, i.e. faculty or staff, that person shall contact Campus Safety immediately.
- Upon notification that a member of our community may be missing, the College may use any of its resources to assist in finding them. These resources will include ID card tracking, keying into residences, checking with peers and faculty and vehicle registration searches.
- Contact will be made with parents or the alternate contact; and local law enforcement notified no later than 24 hours after the individual was reported missing.
- If there is any indication of foul play, the local police department will immediately be contacted for assistance.