The College of Idaho partners with schools and/or districts to offer professional development opportunities for teachers who hold a valid Idaho teaching license and are looking for credits for Certification Renewal. To learn more about these opportunities or submit your course proposal, please click here and fill out this form.
The College is currently not accepting new opportunities during the Fall 2020 term. Direct questions should be submitted to Kris Shaver.
M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Emphasis in ENL and Bilingual Program
The Master of Education: Curriculum & Instruction program, consisting of 36 credits with concentrations in Bilingual Education and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, prepares already-certified teachers to effectively educate culturally and linguistically diverse students in a variety of classroom contexts. Successful completion of the program fulfills the Idaho State Department of Education requirements for a K-12 endorsement in English as a New Language (ENL). An additional six upper-division credits in Spanish and at least one credit of practicum in a K-12 bilingual setting will meet the requirements for an additional endorsement in bilingual education. The program aims to provide significant theoretical perspectives from the research literature surrounding second language acquisition and educational model designs while maintaining a strong focus on classroom practice and application.
Requirements for Admission to the M.Ed. Program
- Official transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended.
- 3.0 or higher GPA in the most recent 30 credits.
- Completed application form (online).
- An essay describing your beliefs about teaching/learning and your reasons for wishing to enroll in the M.Ed. program.
- The email addresses of two individuals who can speak to your ability to be successful in a graduate program and your effectiveness as a teacher. Possible references could be from a principal with whom you have worked, one of your college professors, or a colleague. Using the addresses provided, the Education Department will send these individuals a recommendation form to complete.
The information listed above should be submitted electronically or mailed to Education Department, The College of Idaho, 2112 Cleveland Blvd., Caldwell, ID 83605-4432. The online application can be found here. See the Graduate Catalog for information about financial aid for graduate students.
Requirements for Graduation
To earn an M.Ed. degree at The College of Idaho, a candidate’s graduate coursework must be completed with a grade of “B” or better. Graduates of the program are required to complete a thesis approved by a thesis committee and the department chair. All coursework and the thesis must be completed within five years of matriculation into the program. Candidates must be continually enrolled while completing the program. If all coursework has been completed except the thesis, the candidate must enroll in EDU-681 Thesis Completion each term until the thesis has been accepted by the thesis committee and the department chair. The responsibility rests with candidates to see that their program of study satisfies all of the requirements.