Student Employment

The College of Idaho offers two different employment opportunities for employment on-campus:

  • Federal Work-Study
  • Idaho Work-Study

Student employment serves several purposes. As a student employee you will:

  • Assist the College faculty and staff in performing functions necessary to the operation of the school.
  • Gain professional experience.
  • Be able to earn money to use toward your educational expenses.

Who can work?

Work-Study is available to eligible financial aid recipients who have been awarded Work-Study on the enclosed Financial Aid Award Letter. Your first priority at C of I is to have a successful academic experience, as a student worker you must also strive to have a successful employment experience. This means taking your job responsibilities seriously. You are depended upon to perform important and necessary duties. Treat Work-Study as you would employment with any employer by being reliable, punctual, and responsible.

How do I locate a Work-Study position?

All Work-Study positions along with job descriptions and the name of the supervisor are posted on the The College of Idaho Work-Study web page maintained by the Office of Human Resources.  As soon as your financial aid file is complete (all requested information/documents have been submitted) you will receive a Work-Study Authorization Form. Use the Work-Study Authorization Form to secure employment.

Think of your Work-Study position as being the same as for any employment opportunity. Apply at those places you desire to work, even if they are not currently hiring.

Steps to securing a Work-Study position

  1. Check the Work-Study listings
  2. Take your Work-Study Authorization to the supervisor for completion
  3. Take the completed authorization to the Human Resource (HR) Office
  4. Complete W-4’s and I-9’s (you will need to provide two forms of ID)
  5. A timesheet will be given to you after you have completed the forms for HR
  6. Report to your supervisor to begin your employment

How do I get paid?

The amount on your award letter is potential earnings and is not a guaranteed amount. As a student employee you will be paid once a month on the last working day of the month. Checks are forwarded to your campus mailbox. Your check is NOT automatically placed on your student account. If you want your earnings to assist in the payment of your student account, you must make a request, in writing, to the business office.