La Bonne Vie en Paris

Title Translation: The Good Life in Paris

I cannot believe I have already been in Paris for more than two weeks. It has been lovely to be in the city and we are all enjoying learning about French people and culture, visiting interesting museums and historical sites, and especially eating delicious French food!

One of the most interesting experiences I’ve had so far in my time in Paris was called Franglish. I happened upon it online and I have never been happier about an accident. Basically, a whole group of people meet together – half who are native French speakers, and half who are native English speakers – and then talk to each other speed-dating style for 7 minutes in French and 7 minutes in English. I decided to go to it, and though I was a little nervous, I had an amazing time! I really improved my French skills, and I even had an in-depth discussion about French and American business, politics and economics – in French! It was especially cool because I got to talk to an actual Frenchman about all the topics we’ve been learning about in class – social security and pensions, business investments, the recent affair of French president François Hollande, and much more. It was fascinating.

We also had some very interesting visits to the U.S. Embassy and OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development). At the OECD, the Australian ambassador to the OECD spoke to us about the role of countries within the OECD, and how membership is beneficial to a country. We also had a presentation by an Australian lawyer about international bribery laws, which was fascinating. It was very fun to be there, and we all felt official with our nametags that claimed we were delegates (I will definitely be telling people that fact in the future).

In other news, I really love French food. Especially crêpes. There is a little crêpe stand that is right outside our hotel, and we go there so often (at least once a day) that the people who work there know us and know what we usually order. It’s pretty awesome. I even bought this crêpe-making tool at a cooking shop so that I can try my hand at making them when I get home!

Though I don’t want to leave the city of lights, we have been so busy trying to do everything we can here that I will be glad to relax for a week before classes start. À bientôt!

- Caitlin Fellows

Caitlin is a sophomore political economy major from Salt Lake City.