Finals Week: Putting My Best Foot Forward

Personally, I feel the best way to begin an injury story is with the following lines:

“The fight left me with several flesh wounds, twenty-seven stitches and a body cast, but you should see the other guy.”

“I guess I’ll never know if the grizzly bear survived, but the deep gashes occupying my leg will always be a reminder of that night.”

“After the crash, I found myself crawling through the Gobi Desert for six hours, carrying nothing but a sack of yams on my back.”

These phrases each encompass heroic qualities, all while adding a little mystery to the table. My injury story, however, could not be any more different. I can set the scene of my accident for you in a few words. Where? Simplot Stadium. Why? Pick-up soccer game. When? December 5. How? Tripped over ball. And just like that, I am now hobbling on crutches with a broken tibia and torn ligaments attempting to navigate my way through finals week.

Injuries are always a challenge, but college has really presented some unusual situations for me. If there is anything this experience has taught me, it is that there is always someone willing to reach out a hand to help. Also, never get a dorm on the third floor if you are accident prone. Here are some tips for anyone who may be sharing a similar experience:

Problem: I did not anticipate a snow storm striking the Treasure Valley. Crutches will never trump snow or ice. Never. Solution: Call campus safety! They will drive you anywhere on campus with their golf carts. If you ask nicely, they might even do some donuts in the parking lot. (208) 459-5151.

Problem: Requiring five tons of ice to “de-puff” my foot. My foot closely resembles an overfilled balloon animal accented with colorful bruising. Solution: Rather than sending friends to Albertsons for more ice, just go to the Café. The staff is chill (see what I did there) with you filling up a few bags of ice at the soda machine.

Problem: Passing the time. Solution: Because it is finals week, at least being injured forces you to study. Even if I wanted to, I can’t run away from my responsibilities.

Currently, I’m balancing on one foot staring out my window. A blanket of snow covers the campus grounds as I watch students struggle against the ice-ridden sidewalks. I am wearing the same sweatpants I put on three days ago. And even though I will be attributing all of my upper body strength to crocheting for the next six weeks, I will stand proudly. (but not actually because I need to sit down and elevate my leg.)

Elyse Burandt is a sophomore studying health science from Spokane, Wa.