Dr. Garth Claassen Art Professor
About Dr. Garth Claassen
Langroise Center 200
I was born and raised in South Africa, spending the first twenty-seven years in Pietermaritzburg. I have exhibited my art in South Africa and have works in the South African National Gallery, Cape Town, the Durban Art Gallery, the Tatham Art Gallery, Pietermaritzburg, the University of Natal (now the University of Kwazulu-Natal). Since emigrating to the United States, I have exhibited at the Stewart Gallery, Boise, the Boise Art Museum, the Herret Center, College of Southern Idaho, The Takami Gallery, Treasure Valley Community College and the Idaho State Historical Museum, Boise. I began my artistic career as a ceramic sculptor, but have since focused mainly on painting and drawing. Reviews of my work have appeared in local and regional media, the international magazine, Art in America, and an essay on my drawings was published in Cort Conley’s Idaho Artists: A Contemporary Selection.
I have taught at the College of Idaho since 1994. I live in Caldwell with my wife and son. Our home is just a block from the campus, where my office is located.
Professor of Art, The College of Idaho (formerly Albertson College.)
Lecturer in History of Art, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Lecturer (History of Art, Ceramics, Drawing), Department of Fine Arts, University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Ceramics instructor, Pietermaritzburg Technical College, South Africa
- Ph.D., History of Art, School of Fine Arts, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- M.A., History of Art, School of Fine Arts, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- Higher Diploma of Education, University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
- Postgraduate Diploma in Fine Arts (ceramics), University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
- B.A.F.A., University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa