Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Prospective and New Students

I missed the deadline to submit the Common Application and FASFA, can I still apply?

Yes. However, we are unable to assure timely review and awards. If you wish to receive your award letter before the admission decision deadline on May 1, you will need to apply by the priority deadline.

My family has special circumstances that we would like considered. How do I submit my documents? Can The College of Idaho reconsider my award if my parents' financial situation changes?

Please call and speak with a financial aid representative for the needed documentation. Once completed you may email or mail your documents to Financial Aid. Please submit your documents with the completed forms to reduce any extra delay processing your paperwork.

Will The College of Idaho match another university's award if I receive a significantly better award from another school?

The College of Idaho does not match merit-based awards from other colleges or universities. However, if you receive a need-based award significantly better than The College of Idaho's, the other university may have new information about your circumstances. In this case, please let us know and we can review your file for any changes or updates.

What if my parents cannot meet the parent contribution?

Many families choose to use the federal PLUS Loan to help with educational costs. A PLUS Loan allows your parents to borrow the amount of the parent contribution and extends repayment of the loan over 10 years. As a student, you may also borrow student loans to help meet your expenses.

Can my award change if it is contingent on additional documents or information?

Your award letter may list documents or information you must submit to our office before we can finalize your award. It is possible that your award will change if the information you submit is different than originally reported to us.

Are there other scholarship funds available to me from The College of Idaho?

Students who qualify for need-based aid from The College of Idaho are initially awarded a scholarship from The College of Idaho Fund. During the course of the academic year, the Financial Aid Office will reallocate funds to award these named scholarships. This does not affect the calculated family contribution. When you accept scholarship funds from The College of Idaho, your name, major and hometown will be released to the donor of that scholarship. In most cases, you will are expected to write a thank-you letter to the person who made your scholarship possible.

How does my payment to the college work?

You will receive a billing statement well in advance of each academic semester. Your bill will include tuition, room and board, and other charges for the semester. Payments are due on August 15 for the Fall semester and December 15 for Sring.

Your financial aid award letter shows the amount of aid that you will receive for each semester. If your semester's aid is less than the balance due, you are responsible for paying the remaining balance and all other expenses with your own funds or loans. However, if your semester's aid exceeds your balance due, you will receive a refund for the amount of the overage.

When will my financial aid be applied/disbursed to my account?

Your scholarship, grants, and loans are applied to the college bill once your award is finalized and you are enrolled full time. Though this will not occur until after the bill due date, you may still deduct the anticipated financial aid from the total balance due. Any portion of the bill that will be paid eventually with financial aid will not be considered late.

How can I tell if my financial aid award is a finalized award?

If your award package is pending receipt and review of certain documents or information, this will be noted on your award letter. Any pending requirements may also appear as items in Self Service.

If you are still uncertain you may contact Financial Aid to verify your award package and pending requirements.

How does my outside scholarship affect my financial aid package?

All types of outside scholarships will reduce your student responsibility. However, you or the awarding organization must make sure to notify the College of the award and it will not reduce your bill until all funds are received.

Can I purchase a computer with my financial aid?

The cost of a computer is not part of the student budget. If you receive a refund you can apply that towards the cost of a computer, or use student loans or other personal funds to cover the cost.

Can I waive/decline The College of Idaho insurance?

The college requires that every full-time student is insured which is why all students are pre-enrolled in the college health insurance plan. If you have health insurance coverage through your parents, spouse, or employer, you may waive the insurance before the "Census Date," which is the tenth day of each term, to avoid additional cost. You will only need to do this once per academic year. See Health Insurance for more information.

I do not have sufficient health insurance coverage and will need to purchase insurance. Can my financial aid cover the cost of the College's plan?

Yes. If you do not have adequate family health insurance coverage and must purchase the College's student health insurance plan you can apply financial aid awards to the cost of the plan.

How can I request student loans?

Please contact Financial Aid via email, phone, or in person. Please specify the amount you are requesting. Our financial aid counselors will review your financial aid file and reply back with your possible loan eligibility and further instructions to secure your loan.

I don't want all of the loan funding listed in my award letter. Can I cancel or return some of it?

If you are offered a student loan as part of your award package and you accept the offer, you have the right to cancel all or a part of your loan within the first 14 days after your student account is credited with your student loan funds. You can also adjust the loan amount prior to accepting the award.

Returning Undergraduate Students

What do I need to do to reapply for financial aid?

You need to reapply for financial aid as part of your re-admittance process. You should also complete the FAFSA.

Can I still apply after the priority deadline?

Yes. However, we are unable to assure timely review and awards. If you wish to receive your award letter by the start of the Fall semester, you will need to apply by the priority deadline.

When will I be notified of my award for the upcoming school year?

Continuing students' financial aid files are reviewed during the summer. Award notices are sent out on a rolling basis starting in June. If you applied by the priority deadline you should receive a response by August 1.