Dr. Mark Gunderson Biology Professor
Professor Gunderson has worked at The College of Idaho since 2007. He teaches Animal Physiology (Bio 374), Biology of Reproduction (Bio 109), Organismal Biology (Bio 202), Zoology (Bio 340), Biology Capstone (Bio 450), and leads off-campus trips associated with his classes and research throughout southwestern Idaho and the Pacific Northwest (Newport, Oregon). Dr. Gunderson’s research program focuses on investigating the pathways involved in protecting organisms against environmental stressors using principles based in physiology, pharmacology, ecology, wildlife biology, biochemistry, and other related fields. He is currently studying the regulation of detoxification and antioxidant pathways by trace environmental contaminants in signal crayfish (Pacifasticus leniusculus) collected from populations throughout southwestern Idaho. Dr. Gunderson has authored/co-authored 29 publications in peer-reviewed journals, 1 book chapter, 18 published abstracts, and 92 presentations at undergraduate, regional, or national conferences. He has received funding from M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust and NIH Idaho INBRE grants.
What Dr. Gunderson appreciates most about life at The College of Idaho is the sense of community, opportunities to explore new ideas, and working with enthusiastic students in the classroom, lab and field.
- Professor of Biology, The College of Idaho, Caldwell Idaho (2019)
- Associate Professor of Biology, The College of Idaho, Caldwell Idaho (2013-2019)
- Chair of Department of Biology (2015-2018)
- College of Idaho INBRE Program Leader (2010-2018)
- INBRE Student Research Mentor (2008-2021)
- Assistant Professor of Biology, The College of Idaho, Caldwell Idaho (2007-2012)
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of Victoria, Victoria B.C. (2005-2007)
- NSF Graduate Research Fellow, Okazaki Research Institute, Okazaki Japan (2003)
- Graduate student, University of Florida, Department of Zoology (1998-2005)
- Technician, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Gainesville Florida (2001)
- Lab Technician University of Florida, Department of Zoology, Gainesville, FL 32611(1995-1998)
- Lab Technician Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory Salisbury Cove, ME 04672 (Summer 1994-1998, 2002)
- Ph.D.: University of Florida, Department of Zoology (2005, Phi Kappa Phi) - Gainesville FL.
- BA: St. Olaf College (1995, Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa) - Northfield, MN