The Federal Perspective on Work Study
Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for eligible students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.
The College of Idaho participates in the federal, state and institutional work study programs. Federal and state work study are need-based awards, which require the completion of the FAFSA.
WORK STUDY AWARDS
- Students will receive notification of work study with their financial aid awards.
- Work Study Awards are earned through on-campus work.
- Awards are paid directly to the student for hours worked.
WORK STUDY POSITIONS
- Work Study positions are posted in Coyote Connections.
- New students have access to Coyote Connections after Summer Orientation.
- Positions are posted by campus departments and hiring decisions are the responsibility of the hiring department
Work Study Employment Authorization
- Students will receive an email with instructions and forms, these will need to be completed every academic year.
- Students may NOT begin work until they have completed all paperwork with Human Resources – no exceptions!
- The payroll process requires completion of an I-9 with appropriate government-approved ID (see approved types of ID here)
- Students should visit Human Resources (HR) office located in Sterry Hall, 4th Floor, Rm 402 during the hours designated for new employees.
- After you clear Human Resources (HR), you are ready to begin work.
Work Study Hours
- Students need to keep track of the hours they work in a work study position
- MAXIMUM NUMBER OF WORK HOURS PER WEEK-20 HOURS.
- Monitor your earnings carefully. Your award is for the entire academic year, and has been divided in half for each term (Fall and Winter/Spring).
Timesheets and Payroll
- Supervisors approve timesheets online and they are automatically submitted to Payroll.
- Please pay careful attention to emails regarding timesheets from the Business Office, as you may be requested to process them earlier than the 23rd of each month.
Work Study Pay Rates
- The current wage for most positions is $7.25 per hour.
- Wages are affected by the federal and state minimum wage.
- Each year that a student participates in the work study program, the wage typically increases by 10 cents per hour. For example:
- Second year wage will be $7.35 per hour
- Third year wage $7.45 per hour
- Fourth year wage $7.55 per hour.
- Direct Deposits are strongly encouraged, visit with Human Resources or Business Office for details.
- Pay checks will be mailed to your campus post office box (or your local address if you do not have a campus box) on the last working day of each month.
- Be sure to update your address with the Registrar's Office if you do not have a campus box.