Skip to main content

For your information

COVID-19/Fall 2020 Updates: The College intends to return to on-campus, in-person instruction for Fall 2020 Read More

Dates, FAQs & Forms

Key Dates: 2020

These dates are subject to change if necessary. On-campus instruction for the fall semester will end prior to Thanksgiving on November 26.

  • August 13-14 - Freshman Move-In days
  • August 16-17 - Move-In for returning students and transfers
  • August 19 - First day of class
  • November 25 - Residence Halls close for the winter break at 10 AM


First-year and new students submit a Community Living Agreement (CLA) once they have made their matriculation deposit. The CLA includes your contact information, housing preferences, and a meal plan choice for Fall Welcome Week.

A Non-Academic Petition Form should be submitted to request an exemption from or modification to the residency or meal plan requirement. Petitions are due by the first day of class each term.

If you have questions about the Non-Academic Petition Form please contact us in the Residence Life Department.

Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) offers students a room environment that is welcoming to all gender identities, not one that is limited by the traditional gender binary. Gender-inclusive housing is offered in any hall and is coordinated on an individual basis. This is a voluntary option. More information can be found on the Gender Inclusive Housing Application Form or contact Residence Life.

Residence Life FAQs

Residence Halls Questions
  • What size are the beds?
    • We have both standard and extra-long beds on campus. Extra long sheets will fit comfortably on both mattress sizes. We recommend you purchase extra-long sheets.
  • Can the beds be bunked?
    • The beds can be bunked, provided that both roommates agree to the arrangement. Students can get bunking pins from their RA Office.
  • Are the bathrooms co-ed?
    • Bathrooms are single-gender in Simplot, Anderson, and Hayman. Voorhees Hall features single-use bathrooms
  • Are the floors co-ed?
    • Anderson and Simplot have single-gender floors. Hayman's floors are co-ed by neighbor.
  • How many students live in each residence hall?
    • Currently, each residence hall can accommodate approximately the following number of students: Anderson- 150; Finney- 57; Hayman- 200; Simplot- 150; Voorhees- 75.
  • Where are single rooms located? Double rooms? Triple rooms?
    • Anderson has a combination of single and double rooms. Voorhees offers all double rooms. Simplot and Hayman offer single, double, and triple rooms. Finney has single rooms only. Hayman has rooms that can be used as quads.
  • Are the halls equipped with Internet access?
    • Each room is equipped with Internet access.  Additionally, the halls are equipped with a wireless connection.
  • Are there any special interest floors or communities?
    • Freshmen living communities offer special interest floors.  These change from year to year.  To learn more about these options, contact the Residence Life Office.
  • Where do students park their cars?
    • There are a limited number of parking spaces at each residence hall.  Ample parking is available in general parking lots on campus.  Students must apply for a permit online through Campus Safety.
  • Are there laundry facilities in the halls?
    • Each hall has a designated laundry area in the basement. The cost to run the washers and dryers is included in your residence hall fees.
  • What items are students not allowed to bring?
    • Students are not allowed to bring items that may constitute a fire or safety threat. Therefore, appliances with open heating units such as toasters and hot plates are not allowed, as well as candles intended for burning (decorative unlit candles are allowed, as well as those used in conjunction with a candle warmer). Weapons or firearms of any kind are not allowed (this includes air soft guns). Additionally, students under 21 are not permitted to have alcohol in their rooms.
  • Can students have appliances in their rooms?
    • Students can have small dorm-size refrigerators and microwaves in their rooms. George Foreman-type grills are to be used in designated common kitchen locations only. Additionally, each residence hall has a common kitchen shared by all residents of the hall that typically includes a stove, refrigerator, freezer, dishwasher, microwave and toaster.
  • What furniture is provided in each room?
    • Each room includes the following, one per person: bed frame with mattress, desk, desk chair, wardrobe, and dresser.
  • What kinds of activities are there to do in the halls?
    • Each RA is responsible for planning programs and activities designed to educate and entertain students in the halls. Past programs have included volleyball tournaments, movie nights, knitting groups, study groups, and birthday parties. Additionally, each hall has a variety of recreational and entertainment equipment (varying by hall) such as pool tables, ping-pong tables, big-screen TVs, foosball tables, DVDs and board games.
  • How do students access their hall?
    • The halls are accessible 24-hours-a-day. Students must use their ID card to gain access to their individual hall. Only students living in a particular hall have access to that hall.
  • What should students bring with them?
    • Suggestions of items to bring include toiletries, a garbage can, recycle bin, linens, clothes, a computer, towels and items to decorate and personalize the room.
Policy Questions
  • Are pets allowed in the residence halls?
    • Only fish in tanks of 10 gallons or less and service or assistance animals, approved through the Learning Support & Disability Support Services Office, are allowed.
  • Can students change rooms if they don’t get along with their roommate?
    • If conflicts occur between roommates, the students’ RA and/or Hall Director will typically schedule a mediation with the students. If problems persist, students have the option of changing rooms, provided that alternate spaces are available. Students should contact their RA and/or Hall Director to explore options and obtain the necessary paperwork.
  • Is there a curfew for students living in the halls?
    • There is no established curfew for students.
  • Are there designated quiet hours in the halls?
    • Quiet hours run from 10 8 a.m. During the year, an individual floor may make the decision to change their quiet hours if all members of the community agree to do so.
  • Can students have guests visit?
    • Guests are welcome to visit, provided that their presence is not constant and continuous and that all roommates agree to the arrangement. Students living in the halls must escort their guests throughout the buildings and are responsible for the actions and behaviors of their guests. Guests under the age of 18 must sign-in with the RA on the floor they are staying.
  • Can students bring their own beds?
    • Students are welcome to bring their own beds as long as there is adequate storage space available for the dorm furniture. They are responsible for removing the college-provided furniture and transporting it to storage as well as for returning it to their room prior to checking out. College staffers are unable to help with this.
  • Are students responsible for cleaning the community bathrooms?
    • The College’s Facilities staff provides daily cleaning of the bathrooms as well as other community spaces (i.e. hallways, lounge areas, etc.) on weekdays. Students are expected to engage in reasonable and respectful use of the facilities, so as to not cause unnecessary messes. Cleaning supplies are available in the RA office and students can borrow these at any time.
  • Where do freshman students live? Where do upperclassmen live?
    • Freshmen students typically live together in Hayman Hall and in one other living area. Upperclassmen live in Anderson, Finney, Simplot, the Village, and in off-campus school owned houses.  An RA (Resident Assistant) is assigned to each living community in the residence halls.
  • Is there an academic/GPA requirement to live in Anderson?
    • While we do not enforce a specific GPA requirement, we expect that those students living in Anderson will challenge themselves to maintain a strong GPA.
  • What is the College's policy in regards to smoking?
    • Smoking or the use of tobacco products, including vaping, is not allowed on campus grounds. Smoking or vaping in the residence halls can lead to suspension from the halls or the College.
Additional Questions
  • When and how do students receive their room assignments?
    • Currently, returning students attend an event in the spring of the previous year called "RoomDraw" and choose their room through a lottery system. Incoming students are assigned based on the living preferences indicated on their Community Living Agreement, available to them after they submit their matriculation deposit. Students beginning in the fall are notified of their room and roommate assignments via email in June. Students beginning in the spring are notified in January.
  • What is RoomDraw?
    • Students sign up for housing during a process we call RoomDraw. Students register for RoomDraw by submitting their names to the Office of Residence Life. These students are then grouped based on a point system which is structured mostly around the terms each student has been a full-time college student. Within each group, student names are randomized and then assigned a number. On the evening of RoomDraw, students select a room in the order in which their name is listed. This process has been designed with student input. Students may sign up their prospective roommate(s) when their name is called (and vice versa).
  • How are roommates assigned?
    • Roommates for new students are assigned based on their answers to the Roommate Questionnaire portion of the Community Living Agreement. Residence Life attempts to match those students who appear compatible.
  • Where do the RAs live? What do they do?
    • One RA lives on each floor of the residence halls. RAs are upperclass students who provide leadership to their floors, build community among residents, serve as a resource for their community members, and respond to emergencies.